My name is Alberto Martinez Hernandez. One first name, two surnames.
I was born in Cuba in 1977 in a very small village surrounded by sugar cane plantations and all sort of agriculture hardware. Dad was a tractor driver, mum a housewife. I'm the youngest from 4 siblings. One girl, three boys.
When I was a kid I wanted to be a tractor driver as any self respected boy in the village would. Destiny had other plans I guess. My first memories of any art related activity are drawing the passing steam engines with trucks full of sugar cane 50 metres from our house. By a mixture of luck, good preparation and help from relatives and friends I got a place to study sculpture at the Fine Arts Academy "Oscar Fernandez Morera" on the beautiful city of Trinidad. I graduated in 1997.
I've been living and working in Brighton for the last seven years.
- 1997 Graduation mural at Academy of Fine Arts "Oscar Fernandez Morera", Trinidad, Cuba
- 1999 Collective exhibition "Salon de Mayo" Cumanayagua, Cuba
- 2001 Collective exhibition "Café con Leche", Trinidad, Cuba
- 2007 Open House Festival, Brighton
- 2008 Open House Festival, "Collectors Selection", Brighton
- 2009 Open House Festival, "Collectors Selection", Brighton
- 2010 Open House Festival, "Collectors Selection", Brighton
Most of my work is currently on private collections.
T. 07772 384762